Sunday, November 22, 2015

Is CO a Special Ligand in Organometallic Chemistry? #chempaperaday 247

As I mentioned in a recent post, I have been reading a lot of Hoffmann papers to study and learn more about MO theory. So, be ready if I post several of them in the next couple weeks. 

Transition metal carbonyl complexes are very important in organometallic chemistry.  Sometimes they are used as catalysts or precursor to catalysts, and sometimes they are used to explain our understanding of important industrial processes like Fischer-Tropsch synthesis. 

It looks like CO is very special in terms of sigma donating and pi accepting capabilities. But why? Is it unique? Can we find better ligands? This paper is probably the first of the series I'll post where I am trying to find an answer (not experimentally, just by reading literature). So, if you follow the series, you will probably learn a lot with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment