Monday, February 3, 2014

#chempaperaday Day 18/365: "High-Nuclearity 3d–4f Clusters as Enhanced Magnetic Coolers and Molecular Magnets"

A few months ago, I became interested in molecular magnets. I tried to read some about these complexes. But, I didn't really understand much. I think one of the principles is to get an f block element with a d block and make a cluster. This interaction helps the complex to show desired magnetic properties. I might be wrong. But, I don't think I am so wrong. Anyway, I will probably learn more about them in the future. One of the reasons I like them is that they have beautiful structures like this one:





So this paper is about a cluster that could be used in "magnetic cooling."Did I understand everything? Of course not. But, as I read papers, I keep things in my mind that might help me one day. For example, the authors say that the bridging carbonate ions are thought to be formed by the absorption of "atmospheric CO2 by the reaction mixture." 

No comments:

Post a Comment