Monday, April 28, 2014

#chempaperaday Day 32/365: "New insights into the chemical and isotopic composition of human-body biominerals. I: Cholesterol gallstones from England and Greece"

I had to give up my #chempaperaday challenge for a few months. As some of you might know, I applied to graduate schools and got some answers. So, I spent some serious amount of time THINKING about my future. I just couldn't concentrate on anything else. I couldn't concentrate on my classes, my personal life, friends etc. After I made my final decision, I started to prepare myself towards what I am going to do in grad school (Yes, I know where I am going to and what I am going to do there.). So, I read TOO MANY inorganic chemistry papers and books. Once again, I started to feel relaxed. That's why, it's time to go back to reading and writing.

I can safely say that I am starting my Ph.D. in a few weeks. But, I will still wait to announce it here until I get the paperwork in my hands. 

I decided to start my posts with a paper I read a few weeks ago. The researchers (mostly from Greece) studied 20 gallstones from four patients and finally chose four gallstones to use for their research purposes. Using several different analytical and spectroscopic techniques, they conclude that calcium is the most abundant metal in gallstones. I was surprised to see there is also some Sr in the samples. But, it can be explained by the similar ionic radius of Sr to Ca. 


Interestingly, Zn and Mn was only found in the samples from England and they were rich in Pb, As and Ni. The authors note this fact as follows:

"Thus, gallstones from England are mostly rich in toxic elements."


No comments:

Post a Comment