Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Synthesis of Zykadia (ceritinib)

I think I saw it on the net this morning that a drug named Zykadia (ceritinib) was approved by FDA. It is a lung cancer drug for patients who were already treated by another drug (crizotinib). Anyway, according to the press release it is an "anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) tyrosine kinase inhibitor that blocks proteins that promote the development of cancerous cells." 

I just wondered what the molecule looked like and searched for the structure and not surprisingly I found it. 



Then I wondered how it was synthesized and tried to google the synthesis. Surprisingly, this came up:



Assuming that the website and the synthesis is legit, I want to say that I find the synthesis really easy compared to some syntheses I have seen on one of my favorite apps Chemistry by Design.




No comments:

Post a Comment