Monday, March 31, 2014

Book: The Annotated and Illustrated Double Helix

I have read The Double Helix and wrote a post about it before. Later, I learned that Alexander Gann and Jan Witkowski prepared this book by adding published and unpublished letters, articles and anectodes. It has ~ 300 pages with lots of photos, notes, corrections and extra information that the first book did not have.



If you haven't read the The Double Helix yet, I think you should read this one. If you are one of those people who have read it, you should still read this one since there is much more information in this book.

Since I have already written a post on the book, I don't want to add much on that one. But, it was surprising for me to learn that the publication of The Double Helix caused many problems in scientific society and especially among Watson's friends and colleagues. Crick wrote a final letter to Watson and you can see it in Appendix 4. I think he made it very clear why Watson should not publish the book. To be honest, I now realize that telling everything about a scientific discovery as a simple "story" might not be a great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment