Monday, May 12, 2014

Are you happy with your work?

I don't remember posting anything except chemistry here (I hope). But, this one deserves to be shared on this blog too. I have just seen this blog post on Brainpickings. I try not to read anything other than chemistry or science (and sci-fi and a little bit literature and a little bit of philosophy), but I couldn't help but reading this post and I saw several quotes that I can relate to my past and present life. I believe that you should quit your job if you are not happy with it. I can not see any excuses to keep working in the same job but not liking it. Maybe a few very extreme examples, but that's all. It's very simple. If you don't like what you are doing, just stop doing it. It's never too late.

You can easily translate some of these quotes into your research and science I think. So, I decided to write some of them here. By the way, I should mention that I have never read any of those "personal development" or "self-help" books. There is absolutely no chance that I will ever read one. I think you can only learn from experience (yours or somebody else's) in the life and quotes or autobiographies might be helpful too since they are usually directly related with experience. But, those books not! I will not discuss this with anyone. So, I am not planning to read the book in the article linked. But, I am glad I saw these quotes in the blogpost on Brainpickings:

“Life really begins when you have discovered that you can do anything you want.”

 "Much the same thing happens when you take a person and put him in a job which he does not like. He gets irritable in his groove. His duties soon become a monotonous routine that slowly dulls his senses."

"Whether you are flying the Atlantic or selling sausages or building a skyscraper or driving a truck, your greatest power comes from the fact that you want tremendously to do that very thing, and do it well."

 "The greatest satisfaction you can obtain from life is your pleasure in producing, in your own individual way, something of value to your fellowmen. That is creative living!"

"The next time you feel that you ‘haven’t the time’ to do what you really want to do, it may be worth-while for you to remember that you have as much time as anyone else — twenty-four hours a day. How you spend that twenty-four hours is really up to you."

How to Avoid Work: A 1949 Guide to Doing What You Love | 
Brain Pickings

No comments:

Post a Comment