Friday, March 31, 2017

The Magnetic Properties and Structure of Hemoglobin, Oxyhemoglobin and Carbonmonoxyhemoglobin #chempaperaday 273

Although I kept reading papers almost every day, I have been busy with lab work and some life related problems. All these prevented me from posting some of my readings here. I am hoping that I am back on my schedule again.

Hemoglobin was first isolated in 1840 and Faraday studied its magnetic properties. Here is a paper almost 100 years after its discovery, by Pauling, where they keep investigating its paramagnetism. It is an incredibly clear article and they conclude that hemoglobin contains four unpaired electrons per heme, while oxyhemoglobin and carbonmonoxyhemoglobin contain none. Pauling got a few things incorrect in this paper, but everything else later found to be correct.

http://www.pnas.org/content/22/4/210.full

No comments:

Post a Comment