Sunday, February 15, 2015

One Hundred Years of the Fritz Haber Institute #chempaperaday 192

Fritz Haber Institute is one of the "sub" institutes of Max Planck Institute. Unless you are interested what they do, you probably have not heard of the institute. Since, I follow some of their research areas, I can say I know a some about the institute and in fact it would be an honor for me to work there one day in the future.

So I was really happy when I came across this paper about a month ago. It's a short history of the institute and the research within covering one hundred years. I am glad I read it because I was able to learn much more than I know about FHI. I did not know FHI had seven Nobel laureates for example.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/anie.201104792/abstract

                                                                   Photo: Wikipedia
If you read the paper, you will learn how much the institute contributed to modern science especially in surface chemistry, heterogeneous catalysis and electron microscopy. I would like to highlight a few titles that were also related to FHI: gas masks, methane detector, allotropes of hydrogen, symmetry. 

The fields of research explained by the paper are:

Gas-Phase Kinetics and Dynamics
Methane Detector
Haber-Born Cycle
Chemiluminescence
Combustion
Sttatistical Mechanics
The Franck-Hertz and the Compton Effects
Dispersion
Theoretical Chemistry
Molecular Beams
Physisorption
Colloid Chemistry
Electron Microscopy
Surface Science

[The] science research project of today is the temporary culmination of a very long, hard- fought struggle by a largely invisible community of our ancestors. Each of us may be standing on the shoulders of giants; more often we stand on the graves of our predecessors.

"In the words of the historian Fritz Stern, Haber' s Institute during the First World War became “ kind of forerunner of the Manhattan Project."

No comments:

Post a Comment