Saturday, January 25, 2014

#chempaperaday Day 9/365: "Rhodium, Iridium, and Ruthenium Half-Sandwich Picolinamide Complexes as Anticancer Agents"

Although many people think that I have no life and I just study and read, I do go out and have fun a lot. I just don't like to share every detail of my life and I plan my time and try to stick to my plan/schedule. As most of the other Saturday nights, I will be going out again. So, I will share what I will be reading when I come back. I did read the abstract though.

If you are interested in anticancer metal complexes, I am sure you know that there are a lot of Ru, Rh, Ir and Pt complexes around. I might try to write why this is the case in the future for the undergrad students who don't know the reasons yet. But, usually you can read a few reasons in the introductions of the papers. Very shortly, Ru(II), Os(II), Rh(III) and Ir(III) are inert complexes with d6 electron configurations and there are reasons why the second and third row transition metals are more common than the first row ones. By the way, there are fewer Osmium complexes. Pt(II) anticancer complexes are very common too. The most popular and effective (testicular cancer as far as I can remember) one is cisplatin and there are several others being investigated.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your night and the paper.




No comments:

Post a Comment