Tuesday, January 7, 2014

So i participated in a science event today...

I have done some demos and experiments for kids before  as part of STEM and related programs. But, today instead of younger children, there were high school students. As far as I know, they were all science majors with higher grades than other students (I don't really know the US school system. So, I don't know the details).



Anyway, so I got to interact with ~80 students and I asked questions about their plans and interests in science in general etc. To my surprise, most of them said that they did not like physical sciences (especially chemistry). There were ~10 students that said they really liked science. As far as I can remember, only 2 of them were boys and the rest were girls. These 10 students (although they were mostly interested in biomedical engineering/biochemistry/biology) really knew what they were talking about. For example, some of them knew a lot about PCR, DNA, proteins, DNA sequencing etc. I was really impressed with their education and enthusiasm. But,  I couldn't really find and talk to anybody (except one) who was interested in chemistry.

It looks like chemistry is still not popular and I really don't know why.


No comments:

Post a Comment